Urban News Roundup (October 16, 2015)

Cairo – Egypt’s stalled $35 bn housing scheme

Egyptians were promised one million homes by 2020 at a cost of about $35.76 billion and a raft of other projects to help the economy get back on its feet after the political upheaval that followed the 2011 uprising. A source familiar with the matter pointed to disagreements over the contract and funding difficulties. – Egypt Independent

Addis Ababa – Condo conundrum

When launched ten years ago, the primary objective of the Addis Ababa Integrated Housing Development project sought to quench the housing demand of the urbanite at the low economic end. In its ten years life span the multilayered objective of the city’s housing project finds its success not on addressing the ever-growing housing demand but elsewhere. Given the physical expansion of the city and the growing number of urbanites the need for a revision of the city’s housing development project may be timely. – The Reporter

Abuja – Railways upgrade: Buhari queries diversion of $1.005b China loan

President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, asked the Ministry of Finance to explain why the foreign loans obtained for various key rail projects by the Federal Government were diverted elsehow under the watch of former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. – Vanguard

Nairobi – Britam wants Kidero to speed up road construction

Financial investments company Britam wants road access to its Upper Hill building, which is set to be the tallest building in Kenya, speeded up before construction is completed next year. Rising 195 metres above the ground, the 32-storey Britam Towers will be the third tallest building in Africa. – Daily Nation

Kitwe – House prices cut

The National Pension Scheme Authority (NAPSA) has reduced the price of houses at its Kalulushi housing project on the Copperbelt. NAPSA has reduced the prices of high cost, medium cost and low cost houses by 14, 30 and 40 percent, respectively. – Zambia Daily Mail

Huambo – Lossambo housing Project to start sale in November

The minister of Urbanisation and Housing, José António da Conceição e Silva, announced Friday in Huambo province that the Lossambo housing project will be the first to be inhabited, among the three housing projects under construction in the central highland region. – ANGOP

Windhoek – Greed bedevilled mass housing project

Former Prime Minister Nahas Angula has blamed greed and poor implementation strategies as principal reasons for the interruption of government’s ambitious N$45 billion mass housing project. Since the suspension of the project in May by Urban and Rural Development Minister Sophia Shaningwa stakeholders have directed blame at each other for the failure of the project to take off emphatically. – New Era

Windhoek – Shack dwellers build 4 200 houses

THE Shack Dwellers Federation of Namibia (SDFN) has built 4 200 houses in 14 regions to date with more still under construction. SDFN is a network of saving groups that was established because of the need for houses. – The Namibian

Francistown – Lands & Housing eyes P806m from stimulus package

The Ministry of Lands and Housing expects to draw at least P806 million from the country’s foreign reserves, in order to service the 37,000 plots countrywide targeted under the Economic Stimulus Package (ESP). – MmegiOnline

Johannesburg – Housing nears 4-million mark‚ says Zuma

President Jacob Zuma on Thursday said that 3.8-million houses or serviced sites had so far been delivered through the government’s housing projects‚ and that the figure would soon reach the 4-million mark. – Sowetan

Read older posts from this section

Leave a Reply