Deadline: 31 May 2016 - 12:00am
Conveners: University of Basel
The Institute of Social Anthropology and the interdisciplinary program in Urban and Landscape Studies at the University of Basel are offering two PhD positions for the SNF-funded research project Making the City: Agency, Urbanity and Urbanisation in Ordinary Cities (2016–2019). The project will explore the formation of urbanity by comparing respective processes in four cities of the Global South: Goma, DR Congo; Cartagena, Colombia; Johannesburg, South Africa and Yaoundé, Cameroon. Based on qualitative, interpretive and comparative methodology, fieldwork is planned in all four cities by two senior, two post-doc and two PhD researchers. PhD candidates are expected to conduct field research in one of the four cities according to their experience and choice in close collaboration with the other members of the research.
Principal investigator: Prof. Dr. Till Förster and Prof. Manuel Herz. Post-doc researchers: Dr. des. Barbara Heer and Dr. Silke Oldenburg
The positions are based at the Institute of Social Anthropology and at the program in Urban and Landscape Studies, University of Basel. They are funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) from August 2016 to June 2019 (with the possibility of a one-year extension). The salary is based on the rates of the SNSF.
Earliest starting date is August 2016.
The positions are open for all who have
- a completed Master degree (preferably with distinction; no longer than 5 years ago) in social anthropology, urban studies or neighboring disciplines
- fluent speaking and writing skills in English (for both PhD positions), fluent speaking and writing skills in French or Spanish (for PhD candidates working in Congo, Cameroon or Colombia).
- demonstrable field experience (not necessarily in the respective field research sites)
- a keen interest in exploring urban life in the Global South
- willingness to work in a research team and actively engage in Research Groups
- a letter of motivation
- a 1 page long preliminary research proposal that includes a short description of your researchinterests in relation to the overall project
- a full CV (incl. two references, contacts only)
- a copy of your Master’s degree
Please submit electronically in one pdf document to: email@example.comRead older posts from this section