Deadline: 30 April 2017 - 12:00am
Dates: 10 - 14 March 2017
Where: University of Basel
Nothing is as risky as our future. Sustainability serves as comprehensive model to deal with complex and future-oriented risks. And reversely, to promote sustainable development we need to analyse and manage all sorts of risks, be it economic, social or natural risks – or a complex conglomerate of them. In science, we find a whole bunch of disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to link sustainability and risks. How can we safely navigate through this extensive field? What are sound approaches of sustainability with regard to risks and vice versa? And how can we empirically assess, manage and govern risks within the framework of sustainable development?
The 4th international PhD Summer School ‘Research on Sustainable Development’ at the University of Basel, Switzerland, considers questions of conceptual and empirical linkages between sustainability and risk issues. It provides a platform to discuss this topic in a highly interdisciplinary and inspiring atmosphere. The participants will learn how to thoroughly deal with risk issues in their research and acquire a rationalized basis for substantiated scientific contributions. Distinguished guest speakers will give inputs and comment on the participants’ presentations.
- get to know scientific understandings of sustainability and risks
- acquire an approach to systematically link sustainability and risk issues
- clarify conceptual assumptions and empirical approaches, in order to make original research contributions
- get detailed feedback from senior experts and peers
- experience the interdisciplinary discourse in sustainability sciences and learn how to locate their research in this context
- get to know finely selected international PhD students who research in the context of sustainability and risks
The PhD Summer School will be highly interactive. Participants will receive a certificate of participation and 3 ECTS. The course will be held in English.
Read older posts from this section