Deadline: 31 January 2015 - 12:00am
Where: Gauteng, South Africa
Venue: Gauteng City-Region Observatory
This is a call for Postdoctoral Research Fellows to apply to join the Gauteng City- Region Observatory, a partnership between the University of Johannesburg, the University of the Witwatersrand, Gauteng Provincial Government and organized local government. The post-doctoral Fellowship is a University of Johannesburg fellowship, offered for a period of 18 months. All Post-Doc Fellows will be expected to publish scientific papers based on their PhD research work as well as to actively participate in other research projects being implemented by the GCRO.
Scope of Potential Research Topics:
Among other related topics, successful applicants will be expected to focus on some or all of the following:
• Urban development planning and management (including urban renewal and regeneration);
• GIS, spatial planning and analysis;
• The complexities of race and class in urbanization;
• Modeling and simulation work on urban growth;
• Economic growth and development in spatially (and racially) formerly segregated areas;
• The nature of urbanization and urbanity in the developing world;
• The urban subject;
• Data visualization, urban gallery and related areas;
• Urban housing and informal settlements, and developing inclusive higher density dwellings;
• Urban transport planning;
• Climate change, urban vulnerability and green economy issues; &
• Urban water management.
The candidate must:
- Hold a relevant Doctoral degree completed not more than 5 years ago;
- Relevant fields include geography, sociology, regional and urban planning, development studies, economics, and other disciplines related to the scope (above);
- Be an outstanding and innovative researcher whose accomplishments have the potential to make a major impact in his/ her field;
- Have published at least 2 scientific papers in refereed journals and/ book chapters;
- Be a team player, willing to participate in existing projects as well as publish your own work.
Should you meet the above- mentioned requirements, kindly send certified copies of your academic records, ID or passport, curriculum vitae and a one page letter of motivation to our Finance & Admin Manager, Mrs Adele Underhay, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read older posts from this section