Deadline: 31 January 2017 - 12:00am
Dates: 7 - 8 September 2017
Where: Lisbon, Portugal
Conveners: Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning (University of Lisbon) and the International Planning History Society (IPHS)
The conference will be a forum for the discussion of state-of-the-art of research on African urban planning, four years after the first conference was held in 2013.
The conference will bring together researchers and planners from academia, public and private sectors, and non-governmental organizations, in an effort to present and debate their research on African urban planning and to share knowledge, viewpoints, methods, research outcomes and policy ideas.
It will be organized around four main themes:
- The history of African urban planning
- Learning from African urban planning
- Localizing Goal 11 of the SDGs and The New Urban Agenda
- Social and economic challenges and changes in African cities
For each of these themes the organizers welcome country and cross-country approaches, studies of individual cities, and the comparison of African cities or countries with one another, and with those elsewhere, in particular in the Global South. For more detailed information on topics and issues, please consult the conference programme.
The organizers invite researchers in the broad area of African urban studies (including planning, geography, architecture, history, anthropology, archaeology, as well as other social sciences, arts and humanities), planners, planning consultants, and postgraduate students to present and discuss new evidence and innovative perspectives on African urban planning.
- Participation in the conference requires the presentation of a paper (oral presentation: 20 minutes).
- The conference will be organized in panels according to topics and issues. Each panel will have five papers.
- All submissions will be double-blind peer-reviewed by the Scientific Committee for content and appropriateness to this conference.
The working language of the conference will be English. We are open to consider panels in French, Portuguese and Spanish. Translation services will not be provided.
All colleagues interested in participating in the conference are invited to submit, by e-mail, an abstract (of approximately 250 words), by no later than 31 January 2017, to:
Carlos Nunes Silva
Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning
University of Lisbon, Portugal
If necessary, contact the organizers to discuss any ideas that you might have for a paper on the proposed themes and issues or on other related topics.
Successful applicants will be informed by 15 March 2017.
A selection of the conference papers will be published in academic journals and in other publication formats. Full papers will be submitted after the conference for possible publication (deadline to be announced during the conference). More information on this is available on the conference website. Detailed information on the final publication plan will be provided during the conference.
- Conference fee: 100 Euros (includes participation in the conference, programme and abstracts in digital format, and coffee breaks)
- Registration and payment period: 1 to 15 April 2017
Information about the registration procedure will be provided at the end of March 2017 on the conference website.
- Submission deadline for abstracts: 31 January 2017
- Notification of abstract acceptance: 15 March 2017
- Registration and payment: 1 to 15 April 2017
- PowerPoint Presentation: during the conference
- Full paper for publication: date to be announced during the conference