Deadline: 20 November 2015 - 12:00am
Where: Cape Town, South Africa
Position: Research Assistant within the ACDI
Duration: 01 December 2015 to 30 April 2016
Conditions: Part time (20h/week for R4000/month)
The African Climate and Development Initiative is looking for a research assistant to work on the project: ‘El Nino Ready Nations’. The position is based at the ACDI, UCT and may require travelling within the country. The position will start on 1st December until 30th April.
The research assistant will be assisting in the following tasks:
Identifying and reviewing relevant literature (scientific articles, national reports and newspaper) about impacts and responses to previous major El Nino related droughts in South Africa;
- Identifying challenges and successes in responses to previous major El Nino impacts;
- Compiling for comparison the lessons and recommendations identified from one El Nino event to the next
- Identifying key stakeholders for interviews (in the meteorological service, the Department of Agriculture, academics, etc.)
- Conducting interviews with selected key stakeholders about El Nino readiness in South Africa
- Participating in the preparation of a final report about ‘El Nino readiness’ in South Africa
These activities will be undertaken with support and guidance from Kirsty Nortje and Dr Marie-Ange Baudoin. Applicants should hold a Master’s degree (or finishing their Master’s programme), have experience conducting academic research including qualitative data analysis, and be able to undertake one or two trips within the country to conduct interviews with key stakeholders.
Applications should include, in one PDF document, a full CV (including two academic references) and letter of interest, underlying how past academic and research experience could be an asset to the advertised position. Applications should be sent to Kirsty Nortje by 20th November.
For more information regarding the position, please contact Marie-Ange
Photo Credit: ACDI
Read older posts from this section