Women in Cities International (WICI) is looking for new board members to serve a two year term, beginning in the fall of 2017.
● Women in Cities International is an exchange network for various partners concerned with gender equality issues and the place of women in cities on the five continents.
● With the increasingly important role played by cities throughout today’s world, women’s participation in urban development and the consideration of the differing needs of women and men in municipal management and planning are central to developing “good urban governance.”
● Their vision is one where there is a meaningful participation of a full diversity of women and girls in creating inclusive and equitable cities and communities.
● WICI is based in Canada but the board membership is based internationally, and we invite applicants from any country.
Role of the Board
The Board of Directors is the governance body of the organization, and provides strategic direction to the Executive Director in the areas of programs, finance, and communications. The Board of Directors elects an Executive Committee made up of a President, Secretary, and Treasurer who play a more involved role in the management of the organization. In addition to participating in its AGM,
WICI’s Board of Directors are expected to take part in board meetings via Skype/telephone conference a minimum of four times a year, or as required. Board members are expected to play an active role in the organization, including by developing proposals, fundraising, supporting research and programming, representing the organization at various events, network building, and by participating in the process of approval of major obligations and compensation arrangements.
● Develop collaborative teamwork skills with a set of usually highly accomplished peers
● Strengthen project and team management skills
● Expand your network
● Raise your professional profile
● Become a better coach
● Hone small group conversational and presentation skills
Assets (Meeting one or more of the following assets is desirable):
● Proven track record in grant writing, and in securing and managing diverse grant and
● Experience in community outreach, public engagement and advocacy;
● Experience in media communications, marketing and public relations;
● Knowledge of non-profit and/or volunteer leadership and management principles.
● Language skills other than French, English and Spanish
● Post-secondary education in a related field (women’s studies, sociology, political science,
urban studies, criminology, geography, architecture)
● Vested interest in building gender inclusive cities
● Excellent English language skills
● Strong French and/or Spanish language skills recommended
How To Apply
To apply please submit a cover letter and copy of your CV to email@example.com by 13 October 2017. Include “RE: Board Member Application” in the subject line. WICI encourages a diverse applicants to apply, and successful candidates will be contacted by phone for an interview at the earliest possible date.Read older posts from this section